Friday, June 12, 2009

let there be plants and trees

I think this was my favorite part of the book. Since I was using Liquitex modeling paste, I did a sample on a separate piece of canvas. I painted the canvas with Golden nickel azo gold fluid acrylic (my favorite acrylics). After that was dry, I mixed the same color fluid acrylic with the modeling paste and spread it on the canvas. Using a stylus (actually I used a porcupine quill) I drew the tree shape. While it was still wet, I added burnt sienna fluid acrylic to give the drawn lines color. It took about 15 hours to dry. After it dried, I sponged various shades of green on for the leaves. I liked the sample so much, I decided to use it. Since it was not attached to the book, I sewed it in using embroidery floss. You can faintly see the back of the stitching on the seas and skies page. I added a tag with a scripture from Isaiah "and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands".

No comments:

Post a Comment