Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Paper Wall Hanging

My studio is set up and I love the light and space I am now enjoying. (studio tour coming) I left Florida with one project remaining, a wall hanging for the new meditation room at First Presbyterian Church of Daytona Beach.
This piece began with painted papers left over from various projects. I never wash paint down the sink, every bit of paint is applied to paper and saved. here’s a link to how I do it.
finished pages2
My idea was to solicit favorite hymn or scripture texts from the congregation. It was important to me that the writing be done in the participants’ handwriting.
I wanted to create a wall hanging similar to the ticker tape quilt I did earlier. Arranging the papers on the background fabric  is fun, not unlike working a jigsaw puzzle.
on the design wall
Finally, it was ready to go under the needle.
under the needle
and attach the binding
preparing the binding
It’s ready to hang.
ready to hang
Detailed views
I intentionally left one paper that will always remain blank. It’s so anyone who views it can insert their own hymn or scripture text.
Now for the technical stuff.
The quilt measures 25” x 43”. I used a 60 microtex needle, 100 wt. silk thread in the needle and 60 wt. poly thread in the bobbin. Like sewing on leather, there is no do over on paper, every stitch makes a hole that does not heal. I dropped the feed teeth and attached my free motion foot. I tried to use a fairly large stitch as every stitch micro-perfs the paper. It’s a good thing this quilt will hang on the wall, it will not hold up to much handling.
Should you decide to do something similar, I found that paint markers and sharpies did the best job of adhering to the paper. Ball point and gel pens tended to smear.

WIP Wednesday

WIP (works in progress)
briar rose
Another Heather Ross collection, this time Briar Rose. I had big ideas to make up the collection in Tula Pink’s City Sampler. I started making the 6” blocks months ago and only managed to make 16  of the 100 blocks. Yesterday I looked at those 16 blocks and decided to add borders and sashing and make a 40” baby quilt. Almost done.

Friday, September 19, 2014

Friday Finishes

I have acquired a bit of fabric since last January, but I’m still living off my stash. I recently completed several baby quilts. Quick and fun.
Here’s the front and back of a baby quilt that used Angela Water’s Coral pattern. It’s for a dear friend’s first grandchild.

This one will go to the Wrapped in Love group at my former church. It’s made from orphan blocks from a bed quilt I have yet to finish. I didn’t think I could find a suitable back in my stash, but I tried using the wrong side of a bright turquoise and yellow print and it worked well.
church dash front
churn dash back
I’ve had this fish fabric for years and wanted to try Fresh Lemon’s Lemon Squares pattern with some Kona solids. I had enough to make two baby quilts.

fish1fish back

The one I finished late this afternoon is almost the last of my Comma fabric. I am partial to Zen Chic’s designs. This pattern is the old stack of coins pattern that is great for using up odd sized strip scraps. I promise you, the vertical rows on this quilt are straight! I did narrow straight line channel quilting on it. My phone photo doesn’t do this one justice. It really needs to be photographed on the floor with a baby on it.
And today on my doorstep I found this! A complete fat quarter bundle of Far Far Away.
far far away
I was a winner of a random drawing from Windham Fabrics. I am a huge fan of Heather Ross’s charming illustrations and her Far Far Away fabric line does not disappoint.