Wednesday, November 5, 2014

WIP “Works in Progress” Wednesday

I’m still doing the matchstick quilting on the Russian Rubix throw sized quilt. I can see the end in sight, and I’m loving the texture this intense stitching brings to the quilt.
matchstick quilting
I finished the piecing on a scrap quilt. It’s up on my design wall for awhile to allow me to think about how I will quilt it. It is made from 2 1/2” squares from my scrap bin. I think I have enough to make three quilts…but more on that later.
scrap quilt
And here’s a quilt I’m quilting for a friend in Florida. She made the beautiful top, and I get to do the quilting and finishing.
batik
I had to do some testing to find the right thread, needle and tension combinations. Doing free motion stitching on batiks is often a challenge because the fabric is very tightly woven.
close up free motion
The best part about my new studio arrangement is that I can have two machines set up at the same time. Sometimes I piece, sometimes I do free motion and sometimes I quilt using a walking foot. I have learned that I cannot do one type of stitching for very long without injury, so it is wonderful to be able to switch between projects without having to change machine set up.
later

8 comments:

  1. My Russian Rubix quilt is still in the cutting phase. I am using some of my original Flea Market Fancy pieces. You are inspiring me to get back on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilts are beautiful! I love that scrappy quilt, and wow if you have enough squares cut for 3 more! Thank you for joining us for Scraptastic Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrap quilts ... My problem is not enough scraps as I never finish any normal quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday! I really love your scrappy one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2.5 inch scraps are what I seem to accumulate the most. I'm always looking for ideas to use them up. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them all! You are lucky to have a wonderful studio setup. cdahlgren at live dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't the Russian Rubix great? I made one a couple years back. Very pretty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your Russian Rubix quilt.. the colour combo is great and the matchstick quilting finishes it all off beautifully! Must try that pattern sometime, Linda

    ReplyDelete