Friday, November 30, 2012

Wallets and Gift Card Holders

I’m expecting a young sewing friend next week and we are planning to make wallets.  I’ve been practicing. I borrowed this pattern from How About Orange and made two oil cloth wallets/gift card holders and one denim one. Flown with success, I tried this pattern and made a denim wallet with a bill pocket and two side pockets.
wallets and gift cards
Now for some measurements
For the oil cloth and denim gift cards the main piece  measured 6” x 4 1/4” , with two pockets 4 1/4”x 2 1/4”. I did have to use a Teflon foot on my machine, but they were simple to do.  I made the denim one the size of the one on How About Orange, and I thought it was too big. It all depends on how much you want to put in it.
oil cloth gift cardwallet denim
The oil cloth ones were so much fun I pulled out some of my “stitch paper” and found some 6” squares I had received in a swap. The back of the stitch paper was not presentable, so I fused some fabric to the back. Stitch paper is made by gluing paper to fabric, allowing it to dry and then adding paint. It is a highly addictive process and it makes a huge mess.
gift card holders
Flown with success, I decided to tackle the wallet pattern I found on Pinterest. The measurements I used for it were: one piece 8” X 3 3/4” (the outside of the wallet) the inside piece was 8” x 3 1/2”. The pockets were 3 1/2” x 3 1/4”. If you are not a member, sign up is easy and you can see my Pinterest boards at http://pinterest.com/susanclayton
wallet
I’m looking forward to the sewing session with my friend. We might even make swing bags.
yellow swing bag

No comments:

Post a Comment