Sunday, August 19, 2012

I love Threads!

I am a quilter. I love quilt shops, I love fabric, I live quilt shows, I love to make quilts, but what I really love to do is machine quilting. And for that, you have to have quality threads.

This Sunday was youth Sunday at our church, our associate pastor wanted a colorful stole for the event and one of the women in our wrapped in love group made a gorgeous stole for her. The fabric she chose is a “cheater fabric” from Malka Dubrawski’s Stitch in Color line. The patchwork and stitching lines are printed on the fabric. My challenge was to quilt it such that the new quilting lines didn’t interfere with the printed lines. The friend who made the stole suggested meandering quilting with gold metallic thread.

Eme's stole eme and muriel

I used Superior gold metallic thread in the needle and tawny WonderFil from their Invisafil line in the bobbin.

close up front closeup back

I could not have been more pleased with the thread. I’ve been using Superior threads for a long time. Their metallics are in my opinion, the best available. The company suggests a 90/14 topstitch needle, and a tension setting of 1. I have never found the need to dial the tension lower than 2.5, but that is something you would need to try with your machine and the specific quilt. I always do extensive testing for top and bottom tension before beginning a project.

Wonderfil brand thread is fairly new to me, but their Invasifil line is fantastic. It’s a 100 wt. poly thread that is about the thickness of human hair, maybe even cat hair. It’s strong,  and it is perfect for the top or bottom of your quilt when you only want the quilting design to show. When you use it in the top, you would want to use a 60 or 70 needle. I also used Invisafil when I hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.

It’s a joy to quilt when you can just sit and stitch and not have to worry about shredding thread and tension issues on the back of your quilt.

2 comments:

  1. This is so colorful and lively. A real addition to your services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue Whitted/griffer@aol.com21 August, 2012

    I, too, love, love, love Superior Metallics. I use Invisifil in the bobbin for many applications. I think Terry White introduced me to it.

    ReplyDelete