Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Make tiered skirts for the girls of Haiti

When I read Rebecca Sower’s post on her project to make colorful skirts for the girls of Haiti, I knew I just had to make a couple.
two skirts
I didn’t use a formal pattern, but I did borrow these instructions. If you decide to make one, here’s how I cut the tiers for the larger skirt. This is a very forgiving pattern.
First tier 6” wide 30” long
Second tier 5” wide 45” wide (or width of fabric)
Third tier 6” wide 60” long (one width of fabric plus the 15’ I cut from the first tier to make it just 30” long)
I turned under a very narrow hem and attached lace to one and rick rack to the other.
I made the smaller skirt with a 20” 3/4” wide elastic waistband, and the larger skirt with a 21” elastic waistband. It took me a couple of hours. Fun sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Simple, and very cute! Will look into this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two cute, little skirts. Love the ric rac and lace on the hem.

    ReplyDelete