Saturday, September 25, 2010

Collage Lab textures and washes

Continuing the Collage Lab Book study, referred to in the previous post, I’ve done some more with washes over assorted substrates.

favorite washes

1—First layer, writing in wet white gesso, allowing to dry, second layer green ink on the bottom, blue ink on the top. third layer transparent red iron oxide diluted with acrylic glazing liquid. Note how the color pulled off the top blue portion, I had forgotten that acrylic glazing liquid can act as an eraser

2—First layer acrylic modeling paste stamped with a piece of a citrus bag. Second layer Brown Bombay ink. Third layer green gold acrylic mixed with polymer medium. I actually liked this one better before I added the green paint on the top layer

3—First layer, heavy gloss gel “combed” for texture. Second layer brown Bombay ink. This one is in need of a third layer

4—Peach paint tinted gesso allowed to dry. second layer, white gesso stamp, third layer brown Bombay ink, fourth layer green gold acrylic diluted with acrylic polymer medium

5—White gesso combed for texture while wet and allowed to dry. Second layer was turquoise acrylic paint diluted with water. It bubbled and separated, so I wiped most of it off and applied some yellow Bombay ink on top

6—Gesso tinted with turquoise paint and sponged while wet for texture. after drying, a swirl stamp was applied with white gesso. Next layer was brown Bombay ink

7—Acrylic modeling paste stamped with bubble wrap while wet. Second layer turquoise acrylic paint diluted with water. Yellow Bombay ink on top

8—This was my favorite sample. The substrate was modeling paste sponged on for peaks and valleys and allowed to dry. Second layer was turquoise acrylic paint diluted with water. Third layer iridescent bronze acrylic paint dry brushed to just hit the high spots. If I did it again, I’d make the turquoise paint a little greener so it would look like copper verdigris.

9—Heavy gloss gel sponged and swirled for texture. Second layer brown Bombay ink diluted with water, third layer red Bombay ink diluted with water


  1. These turned out well. I'm still plodding along and learning lots. Thanks for the link to the author's blog.

  2. These are all great experiments. I didn't join this book study and am thinking maybe I should have, it looks very interesting so far. Thanks for sharing your results.

  3. These samples are wonderful, Susan!