Saturday, March 17, 2012

Bali Bag

My sister and I recently took a class where we began construction of a handbag. I didn’t finish during the class time, but worked on it this weekend.
Bali Bag
After signing up for the class, I found a jelly roll in Malka Dubrawsky’s fabric line from Moda, A Stitch in Color. I’ve been an admirer of her work since it appeared on the cover of Quilting Arts Magazine several years ago.  I just love the bright colors she uses. I need to get together with my sister to find some fabulous beads from her collection for further embellishment.
But there’s more…look at the machine I used to finish the bag.
bali and 401
It’s a Singer 401, one of their first zigzag machines. It’s getting hard to find these machines “in the wild'”, but this one was waiting for me at a local thrift shop. It runs beautifully and sews a great straight stitch. I even had it doing some bar tacks with the zigzag function.

2 comments:

  1. Love your Bali bag! You're right, those fabrics are terrific. And the Singer... back to being the work horse it's probably always been. I shared your product recommend for cleaning old machines with a friend who refurbishes them. He's looking for the product, so thanks for letting us know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag looks great, and of course, being the vintage sewing machine lover I am, I love your 401! They don't make a better sewing machine than that one! I love the speed and strength of them.

    ReplyDelete